A strong leader is needed to head up our planning team – a team that is integral to putting customers at the heart of all we do and ensuring that Metrolink provides an excellent service and keeps Greater Manchester moving every day.
The Head of Planning leads all operational and timetable planning activity within KAM, providing the basis for efficient delivery of the passenger service, delivering transport for special events and ensuring that the requirements of our customers are prioritised during engineering works.
Through the delivery of our timetable the Head of Planning defines how our resources are deployed on a daily basis, how efficiently they are utilised and thus touches the activity of all departments across the business. Our timetable is founded on the requirements of our client, Transport for Greater Manchester, and our customers. The Head of Planning reflects the diverse requirements of a variety of internal and external stakeholders to deliver a timetable which exceeds our customers’ expectations.
Leading a team of 6 staff, the Head of Planning ensures that the KAM passenger service is operated in compliance with the contract / MOMA and the requirements of our client, TfGM. In conjunction with the Engineering function the Head of Planning ensures that vehicle resources are deployed in a sustainable and consistent manner, using the network to deliver the best possible service whilst preserving KAM’s ability to undertake maintenance and renewals. The Head of Planning also works in close liaison with KAM’s Driver management team to ensure that these resources are deployed as effectively as possible through an efficient roster.
Knowledge & Experience
- Excellent in-depth understanding of rail operations, with a particular emphasis on light rail / metro operations including:
- Crew resourcing;
- Crew rostering;
- Fleet deployment.
- Preferably educated to degree standard in a discipline relevant to the rail or transport industry or holding an appropriate/advanced or professional qualification (or equivalent operational experience).
- Experience of delivery within a contract / concession framework to externally and internally defined business objectives.
- Outstanding relationship management, interpersonal skills, communication and negotiating skills.
- A proven track record of delivering excellent operations through documented, evidenced plans.
- Experience of complex problem solving and decision-making using multiple data sources or artefacts.
- A good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
Experience of working within a unionised workplace and negotiating changes with staff representatives.
Skills & Capabilities
- Embraces diversity.
- Commitment to developing their own capability to advance their experience and career prospects.
- Constantly evaluates activities against KAM’s Zero Harm objective, keeping risks to ALARP.
- Punctual, time-conscious and adept at organising their own time productively.
- Able to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility to achieve outcomes.
- Highly client-focussed and able to maintain an open, communicative relationship with internal and external customers.
- Excellent report and presentation writing/delivery.
- Ability to interpret data and other sources of information and make informed decisions based on this.
- The ability to negotiate changes / outcomes effectively.
- Ability to engage and influence people to deliver an excellent outcome for KAM and our customers, particularly:
- Our client, TfGM;
- KAM SMT;
- External stakeholders
- KAM Values alignment: safely, reliably, with smiles, with respect, with teamwork
- KAM Vision adherence, around operational excellence, customer focus and fit for the future axles
- Leadership style : report & monitor, deliver with quality, value for money,
- Staff management : ability to coach, challenge, upskill, trade union relationships
- Technical knowledge of Light Rail Operation
- Change Management
Key Accountabilities for the role:
Integrated Operational Planning
- Work collaboratively with KAM Engineering and Project functions, TfGM Level 2 Integrated Programme and other 3rd parties to optimise end-to-end operational planning of network access for the purposes of network presentation, maintenance, renewal and enhancement activities.
- Implement procedures, tools or systems to make the operational planning process safer, more efficient and more satisfactory for users.
- Understands the safety implications of the passenger timetable, event planning and amended access planning especially in terms of facilitating safe engineering access and the importance of fatigue management.
Timetable and Roster Development
- Effective leadership of direct reports to deliver the key outputs of the Planning team.
- Accountable for the production and delivery of timetables and operational plans including Special Event Plans, Possession Operational Plans, the Planned Applicable Timetable and Amended Access operational plans.
- Ensure that team and Driver staffing levels and operating costs are met and managed effectively within budgetary constraints.
- Lead negotiations regarding changes to the timetable, driver duties and any resulting terms and conditions changes with Unite Union
- Maintain oversight of fatigue risk factors as part of driver rostering and resourcing activity, in conjunction with the Driver management team.
- Deliver Driver resource planning
- Using data, anecdotal experience and the outputs of operational modelling, develop and recommend innovative solutions to improve the timetable and service pattern which are to the mutual benefit of KAM and our client.
- Interpret timetable-related customer feedback to drive improvements in alignment with operational and financial objectives.
- Ensure that events across Greater Manchester are supported by an appropriate level of rail service in compliance with our MOMA commitments.
- Ensure that rail replacement operations are implemented in a timely and compliant manner, working with bus suppliers to ensure they are quantitatively and qualitively compliant (eg. accessibility requirements).
- Lead the development of comprehensive readiness plans for operational changes including new and revised timetables / service patterns, the implementation of new lines, the introduction of new rolling stock, ensuring that these developments are introduced without any detrimental effect on customers
- Event planning and amended access being undertaken to an excellent standard, with full recovery of all costs for which KAM is not liable and ensuring the cost per event / cost per possession is both measured and minimised.
Period of Duty:
Based on 37.5 hours per week, you must have a flexible approach to working hours. As part of the leadership team you will also be required to work as part of the KAM on call roster (1 week in 6).
The salary for the position will be discussed at interview.
Anyone interested in this role should apply on-line by competing the supporting statement section showing how you meet the criteria for the role and attach a current copy of your CV.
Monday 10th December 2018