Please find some of our frequently asked questions below.
Why would a vacancy be removed from the website before the deadline?
We receive a high number of applications for job roles in the company and there are times when we reach the required amount of applications and will remove the job advert from the website. We’d encourage you to apply for any roles you see straight away to avoid missing out.
Can I complete my application form by logging in online?
Yes, you will be required to create a profile where you can track your application and set reminders for future vacancies.
I’ve received an email to say I’ve been successful for a position, what do I need to do now?
You don’t need to do anything, we will contact you.
Please ensure you have completed your address and contact details as part of your application so we can get in touch easily.
If you have been successful in applying for a tram driver role, you will be contacted to attend an assessment day and interview. If you pass the assessment day, you will then need to go through a medical examination in order to start training as a driver.
Please be aware that after the nine week training programme, you will need to pass a driving test as part of the final stage to becoming a tram driver.
What is the criteria for becoming a tram driver at Metrolink?
You will need to meet the following criteria:
- You must not have defective colour vision
- You must be willing to work irregular and unsociable shift patterns which will include nights, weekends & bank holidays
- You must be in a possession of a valid driving licence, with more than 3 years of driving experience and no more than 3 points and no live driving offenses.
- You must live within a 60 minute commutable distance from both Manchester depot at Queens Road (M8 0RY) and the Trafford depot (M16 9AL)
- The role is physically demanding and requires you to be fit with good upper body strength. You will have to climb into the vehicle (which includes pulling yourself up) from ground level to 1.25m (approximately) and you must be able to manually use a lever to operate points.
- You must have knowledge of the Metrolink network
The company carries out background checks on individuals applying for the driver role with the DVLA before proceeding to the next stage of the recruitment process.
I’ve tried to submit an application but I haven’t had an email to acknowledge receipt.
If you’ve submitted an application, you should have received an email acknowledgement. Please re-submit your application and if you’re still experiencing issues we’d ask that you contact our HR team on firstname.lastname@example.org
I applied for a job a few weeks ago but I haven’t heard whether I have been successful or not.
We will contact you whether you have been successful or not. However, we do receive a high number of applications for vacancies at the company so we’d ask for your patience while we sift through applications. Please ensure you have given us your correct contact details so we can get in touch.
When can I expect to hear back from the company regarding my application?
We usual receive quite a high response rate for vacancies that we advertise and therefore we’d ask for your patience when it comes to processing your application. Whether you are successful or not, we will contact you to let you know.
For some positions (ie. tram driver role) we have an ongoing recruitment process as the network continues to expand. We keep your applications on file and while you may not hear from us in the first instance, it may be in the next round of recruitment we get in touch which might be a few months later.
Do I need to go through a medical test in order to work for the company?
Yes. All new employees, regardless of their role, go through a company medical examination before joining the company.
We also monitor the health of our workforce throughout their time at the company.