The Head of Drivers will have the responsibility to direct and lead all aspect of driver operations to ensure the delivery of a safe and punctual service, while maintaining a high level of driving standards and customer focus. In particular, s/he will manage the crew supervisor team, ensuring competency standards are maintained and developed, driver resources are planned to meet requirements, and accidents and incidents are managed correctly and investigated.
The role will be based at Trafford and supported by a driver manager, based at Queens Road.
You will lead the changes in the driver areas defined by the business plan and the company strategy.
- Is accountable for health and safety results (e.g. SPAS, over speed, staff accident, 12hr between duties, RTC…) and the execution of safety processes (e.g. briefing, investigation, EAAP, safety tours, random audits, …) and changes, in line with MRDL annual safety plan and legal and contractual standards.
- Ensure that all duties are covered including other activities (training,
- T&C, minding, events…), in liaison with the planning department.
- Track and improve the reliability of driving employees, for production indicators (e.g. lost miles due to driver error, respect of run and dwell time, tram failure management, on time departure, wrong route…) and customer focused (e.g. customer care, PA, uniform, cleanliness…)
Driver employee cost
- Establish with Finance and Director of Production the annual budget for drivers department, ensure this budget is managed closely especially by the strict management of overtime.
- Is responsible for the management of QRD Driver Manager and a team of Crew Supervisors (leaves??? , competencies, HR matters…).
- Lead with Trade Unions regarding drivers matters.
- Work with HR regarding training, recruitment and disciplinary matters. Is responsible of the quality of the communication within his department.
- Define and implement changes in the business, in line with our business plan and the Expansion program.
- Is part of the leadership team (cost control, on-call, reporting…) and ensure a professional relationship with TfGM regarding driving matters
Experience & Qualifications:
- You must have held a similar role in another company.
- KAM Values alignment: safely, reliably, with smiles, with respect, with teamwork
- KAM Vision adherence, around operational excellence, customer focus and fit for the future axles
- Leadership style : report & monitor, deliver with quality, value for money,
- Staff management : ability to coach, challenge, upskill, trade union relationships
- Technical knowledge of Light Rail Operation
- Change Management
Period of Duty:
Based on 37.5 hours per week, you must have a flexible approach to working hours.
The salary for the position will be discussed at interview
Anyone interested in this role should send in a current copy of their CV together with a covering letter of no less than 500 words showing how you meet the criteria for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internal candidates who show that they meet the criteria will be automatically interviewed for the role.
Closing date: Wednesday 1st November